The Code (short for “The Code of Conduct for the Protection of Children from Sexual Exploitation in Travel and Tourism”) is a multi-stakeholder initiative
with the mission to provide awareness, tools and support to the tourism industry to prevent the sexual exploitation of children.
We all dream of a world where children are safe and free. Sadly, today many children are victims of commercial sexual exploitation.
The commercial sexual exploitation of children involves the buying and selling of children under 18 years of age for sexual purposes. Sexual exploitation of children in tourism, child sex trafficking, the prostitution of children, and child pornography are all forms of this crime.
Commercial sexual exploitation of children in travel and tourism often takes place in hotels and uses other travel infrastructure. That’s why we believe that working with responsible tourism companies is a powerful way to keep children safe and prevent these crimes.
Learn more about why the tourism industry can make a big difference and join us to protect children today.
6 STEPS TO PROTECTING CHILDREN
When a tourism company joins The Code they commit to taking six essential steps to help protect children, which we call the six criteria of The Code. These are to:
- Establish a policy and procedures against the sexual exploitation of children.
- Train employees on children’s rights, prevention of sexual exploitation and how to report suspicious cases.
- Include a clause in contracts along the value chain indicating a common rejection and the zero tolerance policy of sexual exploitation of children.
- Provide information to travelers about children’s rights, prevention of sexual exploitation of children and how to report suspicious cases.
- Support, collaborate and engage stakeholders in the prevention of sexual exploitation of children.
- Report annually on the implementation of related Code activities.